Summers in Michigan are the most beautiful time of the year. For many of us — especially in Northern Michigan — the best way to enjoy the outdoors is to spend some time boating on our beautiful lakes. However, boating accidents and injuries on Michigan lakes are on the rise, and they’re happening much more frequently than you might think.
At Gray, Sowle & Iacco we have a special interest in representing children and adults who have been victims of negligently operated watercraft. Over the last three decades we have handled numerous cases involving tubing accidents, jet ski crashes, and boating collisions, all of which have seriously injured or killed innocent victims. Here’s what you need to know in the unfortunate event you or a loved one are ever impacted by a boating accident.
Common Factors in Watercraft Related Injuries:
The most common thread we see in our boating injury cases are:
- Excessive speed
- Operator inattention
- Failure to have a spotter on the watercraft
- Inexperience operating a watercraft
- Operator alcohol use
What You Need to Know
According to Michigan law, the boat operator and owner are liable for damages when an injury or death occurs as a result of the operator’s negligence. Gathering evidence as quickly as possible is crucial. As experienced boaters who focus our practice on watercraft cases, we can help you gather all of the necessary facts.
If you have been injured or a loved one has been killed as a result of a boating accident, we recommend that you do not discuss the case with a boating insurance company representative. The automobile insurers (e.g. State Farm, GEICO, Allstate, Progressive, etc.) also now have maritime adjusters who handle boating claims. They know when to take advantage of people injured in boating accidents who do not have attorneys or who have not discussed the legal claims with attorneys.
On the Day You Contact Us:
You are always welcome to contact us to discuss your boating accident. We will take time to listen and give you feedback about your legal rights and options.
- At Gray, Sowle & Iacco, we believe in complete transparency. If we’re confident we can help you recover damages, we’ll outline your next steps. In the event we’re unable to help you, we’ll make sure you understand why, and depending the circumstances, we’ll offer other courses of action to take so that you don’t have to hire a lawyer.
- Consultations with us are always free. We’re here to help our community in any way we can.
- If you choose to retain us we will immediately begin our investigation into your accident to gather the facts we need to maximize recovery of damages for you.
- Notification of all witnesses, medical providers, and all information sources, will commence immediately.